Thursday, May 10, 2012

Nightstand Redo

Pin It

Okay, I'll just come right out and say it. I'm not a huge fan of the matchy matchy six or seven piece bedroom (or living or dining room) sets you see in every stinkin' furniture store and Craigslist post out there. I hope I don't offend anyone here but I find it a tinsy little bit BORING.  Just putting it out there. With that said, the set of Rubbermaid storage drawers that was serving as husband's night stand was even worse than that. Ugh. I knew I wanted something fresh and light with clean lines that wouldn't distract from other pieces I knew I eventually wanted to add to my room.  We both needed drawers for storage.  I wanted them to coordinate but NOT match.  Also, I needed to do them on a very tight budget.  I found this nightstand for $15 at Goodwill. It had been marked down because it had a crack near the top.  I LOVE finding slightly blemished furniture because many times its super easy to fix and most people will walk right past it.  It's also a great way to bargain for a lower price. Since I knew I'd be painting it, a little wood filler and a light sanding to fix the crack was all it took. Here is the before picture:

 It's not terrible but its nothing special either.  The scratches in the top are just in the finish.  I sanded the top until it was smooth and then gave the rest of the piece a light sanding.  I filled the crack with wood filler then gave it 2 coats of primer.  I wasn't a big fan of the brass pulls but liked the shape.  I decided to spray them with Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint. I painted the entire piece in a warm antique white paint I had left over from another project.  I decided to paint it in a satin finish because I knew lamps would be placed on top and I didn't want any glare or reflection.  I gave it two coats of paint then lightly sanded back the edges and gave it one coat of antique glaze to give it some dimension.  Here's the after picture.  I love how it turned out. I also love the little Dollar Tree bird sitting on top of it :)



1 comment:

  1. It's fantastic! Just the right size and shade for that adorable room!

    ReplyDelete