Saturday, May 12, 2012

Vintage Numbered Boxes

Pin It While walking thru Ikea, I noticed these dovetailed, solid wood boxes in the garden section.  They were really inexpensive and looked well made.  Each of them came with a small, removable metal tray inside too if you wanted to use them as planters or table center pieces. I bought the large square ones (I think they were around $9 each).  They also had smaller squares as well as rectangular ones.  I loved the dovetailing.  I decided to distress and stain them.  I used a hammer, my handy can-opener (handy for beating furniture, not opening cans.....stupid, crappy can-opener) and anything else I could bang on it with that wouldn't break. 

I gave it a quick rub down with an orphaned athletic sock soaked in Minwax Dark Walnu t stain. After it was dry, I used a generic 3" stencil from the hardware store and gave them a quick paint job with some black craft paint sponged on with a cheapo black sponge brush. After the paint dried, I went over the stenciled number with a fine grit sandpaper to age it a bit. The Numer "1" bin is mine to store keys and my wallet and anything else I happen to have in my pockets.  My husband quickly called the "number 2" bucket because in his heart, he is still a twelve year old boy.....

No comments:

Post a Comment