Saturday, May 12, 2012

Thrifted Wingback Chairs Reupholstery

Pin It I found these great wingback chairs at a thrift store for $35 each. They were actually in really good shape and were very clean.  The upholstery was a very lightweight robins egg blue silk.  Silk is pretty impractical in my house.  I had them for almost a year before this happened

One of the kids dropped a glass bottle of black nail polish on the tile right next to the chairs.  It shattered and splattered black nail polish all over one of them. Wahoooo uh crap, now I'll get to have to reupholster them!

I've always had a thing for mens suiting material.  I love old suit coat fabrics of all kinds, pinstripes, plaids, houndstooth and just about everything else.  I was really excited when I found this houndstooth at Home Fabrics on sale for $5 a yard.  I wanted to find something that would go well in my living room as well as my bedroom so I could use the chairs in either room.  I ended up buying 20 yards so I would have enough to match the pattern and also for throw pillows if I decided to make some.  I figured I'd need around 8 yards for each chair.  I've made slipcovers before and have upholstered several simple projects but these was the first big project I've done.   You'll have to excuse the terrible photos.  I took them as I deconstructed the chair so I would know how to put it back together.  I didn't plan on starting a blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment