Sunday, May 13, 2012

DIY Pottery Barn Inspired Numbers Painting

Pin It


Okay, so if you've looked thru many of my posts, you can probably tell I have a thing for typography.  When I saw this painting from Pottery Barn, I fell in love. 


Let me clarify, I fell in love with the IDEA of the painting.  I did have a few problems with it though.  Obviously, the price was more than I wanted to pay for a wrap around laser print.  It wasn't even a real canvas, just printed to look like one which meant it wouldn't be durable and wouldn't look very real anyway.  The other thing that really bugged me were the random numbers on it.  I decided I'd do my own with numbers significant to me and my family.  I had a giant blank wall in my living room. I knew I needed something on a large scale to look good.  I found a large 36 x 48 canvas at a funny little thrift store down the road for $7.  I knew it would be the perfect size for a large wall in my living room.  I jumped on it.  The great thing about this project is that you could really recycle any canvas you wanted to.

I love hitting thrift stores and picking out the VERY ugliest paintings they have because you'll be covering the image up with your own and you can usually get the really tacky ones for next to nothing.  Last week I found a large canvas at Goodwill that I should have bought.  I really really should have.  I've been wishing I had ever since.  I guess the best way to explain it would have been to show you this:
Now that you have some idea of what I'm talking about, imagine blue and purple make up and a bigger perm all in a graphic-y arts painting kind of form.  If I remember correctly, there were even little rhinestones on her leotard. It really was fantastic. I'm kicking myself for not buying it.  It was almost to amazing to cover up with another project though.  In fact, it would probably have ended up being a Christmas gift for my little brother Ryan.  He would have loved it! Bummer.

No comments:

Post a Comment